What Should I Do if I Disagree with the Police Report of My Car Accident?

Close Video

Jim Leach, LC – Unhappy Golfing

After a car accident – especially one that resulted in injury – a police officer will usually come to the scene to write a police report. This document will play a key role in any personal injury claim you file after the accident, as it contains the officer’s record of events: including the people involved, information about vehicle damage and road debris, diagrams of the accident, and information from witnesses at the scene. A car accident police report also sometimes contain preliminary findings or speculation on what contributed to the car accident.

When an insurance adjuster reviews your claim, they will be paying close attention to the police report – which means if it contains incomplete information or a wrong account of events, you can run into a dead-end in your attempts to recover compensation. Depending on the type of information you disagree with, you may be able to make an addendum or a correction to the police report.

For example, if the police officer got provable facts wrong – such as details about your insurance coverage, the location of the accident, or your vehicle itself – you can have the report amended as long as you can provide evidence in support of your correction. If you simply disagree with an account of the accident (e.g. a witness’s statement, or the officer claiming you violated a specific traffic law) you will probably have a much more difficult time getting a change made. This is where having an experienced Morgantown car accident lawyer on your side can be invaluable.

If you have been seriously injured in a car accident in Morgantown, Charleston, or Parkersburg, West Virginia, please contact Jim Leach, L.C., today or call 304-865-8530 to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our experienced Morgantown car accident attorneys. We can help you fight for the full amount of compensation you deserve.